Our hometown of Belmont and our neighboring villages of Cramerton, Mount Holly, McAdenville and Lake Wylie, SC, offer numerous seasonal events, including music, village shopping days, holiday displays, parades and 5K runs.
Here’s a quick look at events through the end of December, plus links to online events calendars for many more activities through the end of the year.
Santa’s coming Dec. 22 to Essex Homes at The Conservancy
Essex Homes just received confirmation that Santa will stop by their model home in The Conservancy neighborhood on Dec.22 from 11 am to 6 p.m.
Join Santa and the Essex Homes crew for hot cocoa, holiday snacks and pictures with Santa!
The Essex Homes model is at 301 Conservancy Drive, Belmont. Directions
Parades, Yule logs, tree lightings and music
- Belmont Christmas Parade – 3:30 pm Dec. 4 in downtown Belmont – Parade is on Main Street. Details
- Cramerton Holiday Parade and tree lighting – 4 pm Dec. 6. Parade begins on 8th Avenue, followed by the lighting of the town tree at 5:15 pm and and free pictures with Santa at 6 pm. Details
- Christmas Enchantment in the Garden – 5-9 pm Dec. 8 at the Mount Holly Community Garden, 126 N. Main St. Details
- Arts at the Abbey Holiday Concert – 8 pm Dec. 8 at the Belmont Abbey Basilica, 100 Belmont-Mt.Holly Rd, Belmont. Music of the season by the Abbey Chorus and Instrumental Ensemble, and carols for all to sing. Free Details
- Christmas Town Yule Log Ceremony, parade and Festival in Legacy Park in downtown McAdenville – 5:30-8:45 pm Dec. 13. Yule Log event is on the front lawn of the Parr Yarns Main Office, followed by a parade to Legacy Park for seasonal music, hot chocolate and kettle corn. Details
- Christmas by the Lake & Annual Lake Wylie Boat parade – 4-7 pm Dec. 15. Boats will line up at T-Bones on the Lake. Best viewing from shore is from the deck at T-Bones and the boat landing. Details
- Belmont Christmas Village – 5-9 pm Dec. 15 in downtown Belmont. Carriage rides, hayrides, train rides through Stowe Park, s’more stations, live holiday music, Festival of Trees, holiday characters, and more! Details
Holiday light extravaganzas
Two of the biggest holiday light extravaganzas in the region begin soon near McLean.
- Holidays at the Garden – Nov. 23-Jan. 6 at Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden. Our next-door neighbor lights up its spectacular gardens with its best holiday display ever, including an all-new musically orchestrated topiary display. Closed Christmas Day. Details
- Christmas Town USA – Nov. 30-Dec. 26 in McAdenville. The annual transformation of McAdenville into Christmas Town USA runs 5:30-9:30 pm nightly Nov. 30-Dec. 26. The show is free! Several holiday events are planned starting in late November. Details
Village shopping guides
Visit all of our small towns and explore their unique small shops and restaurants. These guides will help you find those special gifts!
- Historic Downtown Belmont shopping guide – Don’t go shopping without it! Get your guide.
- Directory of Gaston County Specialty Shops guide – Discover dozens of specialty shops in the many villages throughout Gaston County. Get your guide.
- Horse-drawn carriage rides through historic downtown Belmont – 5:30-9:30 pm Dec. 6-8 and 13-15. Details
Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden
Besides the massive holiday light show, Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden has a full calendar of events – including the Wine Paring and New Year’s Eve family-friendly celebration. The Garden is adjacent to McLean at 6500 S. New Hope Road. Directions
- Wine Pairing, 3-5 pm Dec. 9 – Join special guest Chef Chad Hutcheson of the String Bean in Belmont, six-time winner of the Wine Spectator Award of Excellence, for this afternoon of scrumptious small bites and delectable wine samples. Details and reservations
- Sparkle & Glow New Year’s Eve – Celebrate New Year’s Eve with a family-friendly event featuring New Year’s Eve traditions from around the world, live music, Holidays at the Garden and more. Details and reservations
Five 5Ks and hiking
If you like running or hiking, you will love these events near McLean through late Jan. 1!
- Dec. 15 – We Believe Santa 5K Trail Race and Dog Jog. Take a brisk jog through the US National Whitewater Center trail system. Then grab your canine friend and hit the trails decked out in St. Nick attire for the 5K Dog Jog. Details
- Dec. 22 ¬– Santa Hustle 5K and Half Marathon in Belmont. Shopping done? Celebrate in these two running events through Historic Downtown Belmont. Details
- Jan. 1, 2019 – Hair of the Dog Hike at Daniel Stowe Botanical Garden. Kick off the New Year with a refreshing guided Garden hike, starting at 11 am. Bloody Marys and Mimosas will be available for purchase. Hike is free with general daytime admission.
Discover much more with these event calendars
We have only scratched the surface of the many events taking place close to McLean soon and throughout the year. Here are links to several on-line resources to help you learn about all of the activities.